About Southern Peaks
Southern Peaks Regional Treatment Center is a premier service of Abraxas Youth & Family Services, a nationally recognized provider of innovative and quality residential and community-based treatment services for more than 40 years.
Southern Peaks is located on a scenic campus in the desert highlands of south-central Colorado, approximately 40 minutes southwest of Colorado Springs.
The programs and services at Southern Peaks provide a supportive, therapeutic residential treatment environment that promotes the development of prosocial behaviors and adaptive living skills for each youth at Southern Peaks. Critical components of our programs include:
- A range of comprehensive services to treat mental health and behavioral issues under the direction of a physician;
- A focus on education, competency development, and positive reinforcement;
- A treatment environment that is highly structured with the flexibility to address individual needs and issues;
- Highly trained staff members who possess the qualifications and competencies to provide effective and meaningful interaction, intervention, treatment, and supervision to our multi-problematic residents; and
- Individualized services based on quality assessment processes, treatment planning, and implementation of treatment services.
Accreditation / Licensing
Southern Peaks is Joint Commission accredited and licensed by the Colorado Department of Human Services as a Residential Child Care Facility (RCCF) with a Therapeutic Designation from the Division of Behavioral Health for the State of Colorado. Our non-public facility school maintains full approval licensure through the Colorado Department of Education.
Southern Peaks uses the Sanctuary® Model for Trauma Informed Care as the framework for treatment in all of our programs and services. The Sanctuary® Model is a blueprint for clinical and organizational change which, at its core, promotes safety and recovery from adversity through the active creation of a trauma-informed community.
Sanctuary® recommends changing the central question we ask about the people we serve from “What’s wrong with you?” to “What’s happened to you?” as the first step in recognizing the influence of the past on current behaviors and functioning. A recognition that trauma is pervasive in the experience of human beings forms the basis for the Sanctuary® Model’s focus not only on the people who seek services, but equally on the people and systems who provide those services.
Why Choose Southern Peaks?
At Southern Peaks, our programs emphasize the enhancement of physical, social, emotional, and academic development in a safe, nurturing environment. Our therapeutic and educational services are strength-based, client-centered, family-oriented, and trauma-focused.
We provide a quality services in safe, culturally competent, and gender appropriate environments. And we utilize evidence-based practices to foster personal growth and build the life skills and competencies necessary for individuals to become responsible and productive members of society.